• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:09 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

SOR- Main Mechanic: Rage

Started by SentinalBlade, August 23, 2009, 05:22:12 pm

SentinalBlade

August 23, 2009, 05:22:12 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Hey all,

Me and Zodiac have been working on an ASM hack, which will be a new focus on how you will battle. The new Combat Mechanic is called "Rage"

This mechanic works rather simply. You start out with 0 Rage(formely known as MP). as you physically attack, or cast a spell that cost 0 rage, you generate rage. The more powerful abilities require rage, which is to be built up through any physical attacks(including books and a few new "magic" weapon types with range). A good example would be...

My PyroBlade... I want to use a skill called Melt Armor.

Melt Armor is a ranged skill with fire element. Melt Armor has a 45% chance to break, when someone is not weak to fire. It costs 32 Rage.

My PyroBlade will have to take 4 different actions before using a more powerful ability(depending on his WP and such, it could only be 1, 2, or 3).

Basically, the premise of this mechanic is to get rid of that charge time that mages have that causes them to become useless mid game. Having a geomancer run up to you and one hit you because your charging to slow was never a fun way to play. This way, everyone will have to think tactically to bust out more powerful spells, no class will be gimped mid battle when his charge time sucks, and no meele class will be left in the dust when it comes to magical prowess. Initial balance across the board will be a key factor with this.

--------------------------------

Depending on how in depth me and zodiac get, Rage will be subject to several changes. One may include giving Mage-classes several long range "free" spells to generate rage, and have physical classes generate rage soley on their weapon power.

Skip Sandwich

August 23, 2009, 09:09:51 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I just had an awesome idea, inspired by Saga Frontier 2. Now, basically, in SF 2, elemental magic was so prevalent that most weapons and armor were made out of materials like wood and stone, because they conduct mana better, but for the minority of people with weak or non-existent magical power, metal tools, which actually repel mana, are a superior alternative. Basically what I'm getting at is that what if we had weapons for each element type, that would grant fury on hit, as well as metal weapons, with superior damage capability, but incapable of generating fury?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Vanya

August 24, 2009, 10:34:49 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I think with this and the Elemental circle set up you've gotten this project up to the excitement level of Mercenaries. It seems like just these 2 things will really make it interesting to play. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

DarthPaul

August 25, 2009, 01:05:01 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Vanya"I think with this and the Elemental circle set up you've gotten this project up to the excitement level of Mercenaries. It seems like just these 2 things will really make it interesting to play. ^_^

Not only that but the game has been made more simple than previous versions where. Allowing more work to get done at a faster pace. As fall and winter pass I foresee a playable demo of the mechanics by thanksgiving at the least.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Sephirot24

September 03, 2009, 10:20:40 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Rage system, like in WOW. Very nice! I like that part of "mages not being useless past midgame" :)

koldkase77

I think a two player mode should be implemented. Also, are you using The FFTPatcher to do this game?