• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:28:14 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

ASM Requests

Started by The Damned, October 29, 2014, 09:16:45 pm

Pride

You'd have to make a status effect that causes you to regen MP (which Choto correctly said that I already made) and also hack the reaction routine to cause it to give the status. Not very hard but also incredibly impractical because unless MP values of spells are very low; I cannot see how it would be better then Absorb Used MP when its already a subpar reaction ability.

Wall becomes "Mist" or MP Regen
This is intended to be used with FFMaster's Wall asm to make the ai attack Wall'd units. The MP Regen recovers 1/4 of Max MP after each turn. I thought it was better then 1/8 like normal Regen.

0x000F6EBC

5B000392
2E000296
1980033C
902D638C
0A0062A4
250062A0
FD350608
5B000392

0x001267EC

AF770508
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Argy

Thank you Choto and Pride for your time and answers to this. Looks like I will be using the Mp regen hack you have already have created.
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

The Damned

I figure I might as well do this before I potentially lose Internet, so I might as well do this now before I forget to ask too:

1. Is there someway to generally "fix" weapon evasion being tied to the upper/right hand and shield evasion being tied to the lower/left hand and thus both generally being obviated if you switch hands (without Two Swords)? Similarly, is there a way to make it so that Two Swords with only a shield will still give you two punches if your upper hand is the one that's bare-handed? (Note: The latter is completely superfluous if the former can be amended.)

2. Is there some way that just Bervenia Volcano can be opened up in Chapter 1 (or early Chapter 2) without screwing up the map order or presumably forcing everything else to be open? While also keeping opening of map locations otherwise normalized?

3. Is changing formula 5D (or some other formula) from "Dragon Only: Set Quick No Status" to "Monster Only: Hit (MA+(n)X)% Set Quick 100% Add Status" (or vice versa if necessary) workable? I wanted to avoid asking for formulas in here if possible, but given how atypical Quick is, I figured I should ask since otherwise I'll have to rework a crucial skill in one of my classes. (Note: The (n) is just to denote any integer--for now one can safely assume that n = 1 as it "should" be.)

Regardless of whether any of these get answered, thanks in advance and thanks to Xifanie for opening up a separate thread.

Quote from: ngovandang on December 25, 2014, 01:01:25 pm
I want a little mod can join or invitation all bosses and all special enemy. And I want have teleport 2 of Altima in moverment skills tap  :D

Since no one answered this, I'll just say that you can already do all of this in FFTPatcher via the Jobs, ENTD and Skill Set tabs. It will probably kill game-balance and I think some of the bosses, chiefly the Lucavi like Altima, will act buggy if you have more than one of them on the map, but if it's what you want, then hey. I don't think it will outright mess with the story though--you'll just end up with Wiegraf literally fighting himself (twice) at worst if you want recruit literally every special character.

That said, I'm also not sure what will happen if you try to recruit Gafgarion during the same fight where he would otherwise instantly crystallize if you didn't change the event that causes said instant Crystal to happen. Shrug.

Regardless, pretty much everything you requested already exists in FFPatcher if you haven't realized that already in the eighteen or so days since you asked this.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Pride

I'll only respond to 2.

You can open Bervenia Volcano without effecting anything else after the Desert is open in Chapter 1. Before that, yeah it would screw up things. You can open it via event commands (the way its opened in vanilla).
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

The Damned

I see. That's mercifully easy then. Thanks, Pride.

One more thing I forgot to ask was about Reflect the reaction, especially since it came up in other ASM thread: Would it be easy to turn Reflect the reaction into essentially a second reaction in the vein of Counter Tackle that reacts with an ability rather than with adding status to the self?

I mean, it's not like it's being used currently, I think there already exists an ASM that lets it add status and I agree with the sentiment that just "fixing" it to add Reflect to self would be boring while also agreeing that making it into the Hamedo version of Counter Magic would probably make it broken.

Shrug. Regardless, thanks.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Choto

in regards to the dragon targeting becomes monster targeting thing, i'm pretty sure the hack has been done a couple of times actually. You'll have to search the forums though because at least for me it was one of the first hacks I did and didn't record it in a hacking thread or anything.

then for the reaction thing, stand by for now. I have a hack in the works that will give you many more options for counter abilities.

The Damned

I should have been more clear about the formula request. My apologies for being imprecise.

What I was asking with regards to that particular formula was not if Dragon to Monster targeting existed as I was already aware it did, but if a working formula that added a Quick flag and then status would, well, work given how atypical Quick is. Given the ability said formula would be used for is rather vital to at least one of my classes, I figured I should ask despite not wanting to request formulas in this thread if I can avoid it. I guess I also would prefer if said formula didn't work unless the unit also had Monster Talk, but meh, that's not strictly necessary and I figure "baby steps" to see if the general form could work at all.

Besides that, I see. As with your hacks in general, I look forward to seeing what you come with there. It would be nice to do something with Gilgame Heart's space among other things. Thanks.

The Damned

I dislike double-posting, but one more thing just occurred to me that I figure I might well ask here: It is currently impossible to manufacture random yet precise all-map targeting in the vein of abilities like Roulette, which selects one unit on the map to instantly kill, is it not? At best the closest we can currently get in FFTPatcher is just making abilities target the entire map with AoE 255, toggling Random Hit and then hoping against hope that the ability deigns to strike one of the comparatively few occupied panels rather than empty space, right?

So...I am of course wondering if that can (easily) be done or if it's completely impossible outside of perhaps making a very specific formula just for it.

I'd just ask Dokurider about this, but given he's been gone for the past couple of months...yeah. For the record, given how little importance this is, I'd totally settle for just being able to target any occupied space rather than Roulette and its ilk even greater precision in also ignoring units afflicted with a KO status.

A Blood Red Fox

I was wondering about the possibility of a hack to make it so that broken items are not permanently destroyed. They'd be inaccessible during the battle, but once the battle ends they're back in your inventory. It'd make item breaking abilities less annoying while not losing their effectiveness. The logic being that the item could be repaired once the fighting has ended.

Jumza

I believe there is a hack like this, where you can buy back broken or stolen items from the fur shop. I think it's included in the default hacks with the ASM program in the FFTPatcher suite.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

A Blood Red Fox

Quote from: Jumza on January 31, 2015, 11:45:55 am
I believe there is a hack like this, where you can buy back broken or stolen items from the fur shop. I think it's included in the default hacks with the ASM program in the FFTPatcher suite.

You're right, there is a hack like that in there. Apparently I overlooked it somehow.

Grond

This is a bugfix request, but I suppose it fits in here. Who else has noticed that all Draw Out abilities call up the wrong weapon graphic tiles? For most of them, the only visible problem is that the katana 'wraps' (or whatever the thing near the base of the blade is called) aren't right. However for Bizen Boat, Kiyomori, and Masamune, it actually reads past the katana graphic tiles and pulls up a rod graphic instead! I don't know whether this bug exists in the Japanese or PSP versions of the game.

This shows what tiles the code is calling vs what it should be.

Bizen Boat as an example. Photo on left is of retail game on real hardware (rod graphic outlined for clarity). Included to show that it isn't an emulation bug/bad game dump. On the right are emulator screenshots of the same.

Chirijiraden as a less obvious example. Correct graphic on the left (No wrap on blade). Wrong graphic at right (Green wrap).

Complicating the matter, I found a screen of Elmdor drawing Muramasa as a rod, and another of him drawing Kiku as a rod (both from the Let's Play Archive), so it seems Elmdor's (or his two unique Sword Spirit skillsets') draw out graphics are even more messed up than the regular versions. Regardless, you've probably all noticed that his draw out animations go completely screwy sometimes anyway.

So, any ASM-ers want to tackle this? I'm willing to bet it's a simple fix, if you know where to look.

Angel

Neither Xifanie nor I had noticed this before (which is unusual, and surprising). Elmdor being a bit wonky is very much known, however, including on PSP.

Elmdor's nonsense isn't likely to be bothered with by anyone, just because his job is obnoxious as hell to work with already, but I'm sure you're right about Draw Out likely being an easy fix.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Choto

How much are you willing to bet Grond?

Turns out it's not quite a simple fix to do via ASM. I documented the relevant parts of the routine here: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Load_WEP_graphic_from_WEP1_Sheet

The routine does an offset calculation to find out where on the WEP sheet to load from, but it references some stuff in the WEP.SHP file which I didn't really care for figuring out. In the end, the routine adds 0x10 to the Y offset... which bumps each weapon graphic to the one right below it. However... I guess this only happens for draw out skills... or katanas...

Anyways... I tried a quick fix for this by editing the WEP1.SHP. It fixes the Rod issue for normal draw-out skills and hopefully doesn't break anything else. This is about all I want to devote to fixing this though. Elmdor is just... fucked lol. I have no clue why he specifically would wig out like that

Kurosabes

Good observation, I've never noticed it being a rod, always seen it as a sheated katana and didn't give it logic thought, haha. No such thing as sheated katana sprites in this game. Maybe I'll give your ASM a try sometime later.

---

I was about to request something, but after checking through the BATTLE.BIN stuff a bit, I may have figured a tiny fraction of it.

BATTLE.BIN
0x124AA6

Change 40 to 42

I don't know if I got that right, no time to test right now (also first attempt at ASM), but I'll leave this here and if I got it completely wrong I'll probably remove it. I may as well say what my request is/was before I forget about it. My intention is for Petrify to reduce all damage to 1 (and not ignore attacks of course) so that a weapon that cancels Petrify can actually hit a Petrified unit.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Grond

QuoteHow much are you willing to bet Grond?

l i t t l e   m o n e y
:)
Good job (and fast!), but for some reason it seems the back view is handled separately and was still bugged:

Kiyomori front vs back view

However I seem to have fixed that by changing the next 3 5c's in that code sequence into 1c's.

Masamune correct'd

Thanks, and hopefully this resolves the issue once and for all:

Choto

Nice work! glad we could square that away pretty quickly

The Damned

Congrats on both noticing and fixing such an obscure issue Choto and Grond, especially given it was solved so quickly. I'd been noticing things were off with Draw Out for years in ARENA, but I thought that was largely because of something that FFMaster might have inadvertently changed. I never really noticed Elmdor was/is apparently so buggy since usually he was too busy using Blood Suck or Rafa was too busy dying or the Assassins were too busy being bigger issues. I wonder if this works if you change what weapons Draw Out or what Draw Out generally uses. It seems like it should, but only testing would confirm that, which can wait.

Anyway, since I'm posting in here again, I might as well dump three somewhat general status-related things that have come up while working on my own newest patch that I might actually finish for once. These might be better off in "Help!" section technically since they're more questions than outright requests, at least in the sense that I don't expect them to fulfilled anytime soon, if ever. There's no reason, however, not post them here in case anyone else might be interested in tackling them provided they can be tackled:

1. Is there a(n easy) way to go about fixing Frog's behavior for the A.I. in terms of making it so that A.I. Frogs don't run far (far) away from their team? Staying away from the enemy and/or staying behind their teammates when possible is generally fine, but given I'm not hoping for miracles that I don't believe in anyway, I'd be fine with just making it so that Frog A.I. has the A.I. attack as "normal" despite the drastic change to the unit. (Speaking of which, on a related note, has anyone looked into the far, far more minor issue of why A.I. Frogs' attacks supposed ignore Countergrasp reactions?)

2. Is there some way to essentially "fold" Invite into Train so Invite's space on the status list can be used by something else? Or does Invite essentially have to be separate for Train to work properly even if one is not actively using it for something? I'm guessing it's the latter, but there's no reason not to ask really since it isn't abundantly clear due to the rather opaque way that Invite works in general with its invisible, weird flagging.

3. Finally, is there anyway to (easily) assign Berserk status a skill set like Blood Suck (A7) and Frog (A8) have? Between the two "types", I'd personally prefer if it was like Frog's skill set where you--well, the A.I.--are restricted to moves that can only be used if you already had them in either your Primary or Secondary skill set. This compared to Blood Suck's type, where it just seems like A7 outright hijacks anything else could unit originally do and causes them to only use abilities within that skill set since no one but Elmdor has (that version of) Blood Suck (the attack).

Regardless, thanks in advance and good work once again.

Choto

Thanks for the congrats, and here's what I have:

1. Is there an easy way? probs not. However, I've recently uploaded all of the disassembly in Battle.Bin to the wiki: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/BATTLE.BIN

00193e50 to around 0019f2f0 are the AI routines.. so chances are movement decisions are in there somewhere. Although, the exact location is, as yet , unknown.

2. This is a pretty interesting idea. One could hardcode certain ability ID's to initialize a "to be invited after battle" byte for each unit in battle.. then after battle check that instead of invite. However, there is also a bunch of other hardcoding for invite which one would have to remove.

3. For this one you may be in luck. I planned on making a berserker for my own patch and allowing him to use the second half of a skillet when berserk only. So the second half of the skillset would be "berserk only" abilities. The only thing is I don't know when I'll get around to doing this because I'm terrible at making progress with a patch >_> I'd like to do it sometime though.

The Damned

I see. Thanks, especially for the BATTLE.BIN thing even though I currently won't understand most of it. Good to know for other people at least.

Regardless, waiting is completely fine with me, especially since I'm not guaranteed to finish this (like always) and I read you were pretty busy with summer. It's just good to know about how easy or not it may be to do things given how many things are technically possible. The third thing with Berserk is pretty coincidental though, even though it seems like you and I want it for rather differing purposes and styles of Berserker.