• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:22:37 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New challenger has arrived!!

Started by VincentCraven, November 11, 2007, 07:48:06 pm

VincentCraven

November 11, 2007, 07:48:06 pm Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:51:03 pm by VincentCraven
So anyway, I was testing my game, booting out Rad, Lavian, Alicia, and then it hit me. These guys are still useless!

What should I do with the unspecialized special units? Currently I have...

Rad - Red Mage (would be a new class)

Lavian - unlocked up to Geomancer

Alicia - unlocked up to Lancer

Boco - all Chocobo skills and can Fly, but has lower stats and 5 move (No other chocobo can fly anymore)
--[previously suggested Mbarrier, which is just too good]

Any other classes that you think should be added are welcome in this topic. Note however that my ability to add new skills is limited.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

huthutchuck

November 11, 2007, 11:07:29 pm #1 Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:14:02 pm by huthutchuck
You read my mind with the creation of red mage!  I'd like to see the red mage be half white, half black with only the lower level spells like fire 1 and fire 2, no fire 3; raise, no raise 2.  And of course equip swords.  

I also like the the thought of the class of mage knight.  The knight would have elemental based sword attacks similar to Steiner from FF9 ala fireslash, bolt slash.  How about the animation for the fire, bolt and ice spells with a sword swing.  Kinda cool, hopefully not too powerful or cheap.

Chrona

November 11, 2007, 11:13:28 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Chrona
Seems rather worthless really, since you can't implement the traditional Doublecast
Silver Noble

huthutchuck

November 11, 2007, 11:15:48 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
i don't know the thought of having access to black and white magic PLUS a second class is very appealing.

karsten

November 12, 2007, 02:24:55 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
make lavian a knight sword (mystic knight) and alicia a necromancer :P

Reiska

November 12, 2007, 02:34:46 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Reiska
I'd like to see Mystic Knight as well, FF5-style.  Sword user that has skills that do weapon damage or slightly more than, but with elementals added on.

Red Mage also isn't a bad suggestion; it could get Cure/Cure 2/Raise/Protect/Shell/Fire/Fire 2/Bolt/Bolt 2/Ice/Ice 2/Poison, at least.  If you wanted to _really_ diversify it, you could also throw in Haste and Slow, but that might be a little much.

Really, though, this raises another question: is it possible to add new jobs to the generic job tree?  Or is there no room there?  Because Red Mage would really be a neat class to open up for everyone if were possible.

We can't implement Doublecast, as far as I know, but we might be able to do something like Red Mage's unique ability in FFXI by giving it innate Short Charge (or even Non-charge, with a low enough MA so as to avoid insanity); the Red Mage's 2-hour special in FFXI is to instant-cast all spells for one minute.

Xifanie

November 12, 2007, 06:51:03 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Err I'm not sure we can perfectly implement Mystic Knight yet.

Weapon strike is Weapon Elemental & I'm not sure Black Mage spells are compatible with Weapon strike either.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

VincentCraven

November 12, 2007, 08:03:46 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Seems rather worthless really, since you can't implement the traditional Doublecast

But Red Mage is so cool looking. Once I implement the sprite, you won't even notice the lack of Doublecast!  XD
Meh, Rad going from plain Squire to almost Red Mage is a nice step up though. His class will be fast but weak, most likely.

Quotemake lavian a knight sword (mystic knight) and alicia a necromancer Very Happy that would be fun!

oh and i'magainst boco being so overly useful Razz

Both classes mentioned require me to hack a lot into this game, unless I'm overlooking something.

Boco's Mbarrier will either A) add one status randomly B) have very low chance of activating C) decent chance to activate, but each status will have a separate chance to work. Dunno what other skill I'd give him for him to be better. His faith starts out at 48, so it's not like he's awesome from the start. There's also that MP Cost on a monster problem...

Reiska:
That set mentioned +Regen is what I'm looking at.

No room, but the question I got from that is, should we make another class be moved out of the job tree and onto a special? Maybe if I made Mime as a unique monster or something? Then I'd make Blue Mage require 4 Oracle and Time Mage. Red Mage would require 4 Priest and Wizard.

Short Charge? Unlocked pretty easily by him or his MAM is like 90. Pretty fitting without access to Doublecast.
Non-charge?  low enough MA so as to avoid insanity would be especially low. Sounds kinda bad to me, since that opens up insta-cast Bahamut and insta-cast Meteor. Insta-cast was kinda the thing for Blue Mage.

karsten

November 12, 2007, 11:34:53 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
for mystic knight just make it so:

example:

fire2 sword: normal attack but fire elemental and with chance to cast fire2

same for the other elements... nice, easy, clean and even useful to exploit monster's weaknesses. make a sword for all elements:
holy
dark
wind
earth
fire
ice
bolt
water
at maybe 200/250jps each

for the necromancer just give him
dark holy
drain
don't move
don't act
a random darkness elemantal attack (darkness cures undeads)
maybe lich too

VincentCraven

November 12, 2007, 12:41:37 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
:o  But... wouldn't that work like Holy Sword? I'll give it a try, but...

A necromancer w/o power to raise undead? That is certainly possible. I thought that was what defined it though.

karsten

November 12, 2007, 02:57:12 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "VincentCraven":o  But... wouldn't that work like Holy Sword? I'll give it a try, but...

A necromancer w/o power to raise undead? That is certainly possible. I thought that was what defined it though.
why would be like holy sword? i don't see how they can look the same... it's more like having a sword with a chance to cast  a certain magic you wish...
something like ice brand, no?

if you can make use of those "SUMMONING MONSTER" spells to have it call for skeletons or ghosts it would be awfully funny :D

huthutchuck

November 12, 2007, 03:19:41 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
I can definitely agree with the replacement of mime.  I always thought if i wanted someone to do a skill twice i would just bring two characters that have the skill.  My vote is for Red Mage first any other new characters second.  No-no to Non Charge, imagine it with Destroy sword, Holy and Flare.  Not cool.  Maybe innate short charge at the most.

VincentCraven

November 12, 2007, 04:37:56 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
So karsten, are you suggesting that I add in swords that are only usable by this class? Adding the Ice brand formula to an ability makes that ability activate the weapon's elemental. Dunno how I'd get around that.

Mime does have its uses, considering it imitates all your units abilities, not just one. That's like having 8 attacks per round instead of just 5. I think I'll make mime a secret monster.

As for Red Mage, Short Charge or nothing, but probably nothing.

Xifanie

November 12, 2007, 04:58:36 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
We could give Boco all chocobo skills but with weaker stats.

I still don't know for sprites. I haven't checked yet on how to make a new sprite being completely functional.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

huthutchuck

November 12, 2007, 05:57:27 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
How about giving some of the current swords elemental attributes like ancient sword to flame,platinum to water, diamond to air?

VincentCraven

November 12, 2007, 06:52:48 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
All chocobo skills certainly could work.

Swords are already good enough as it is, but that's a thought.

And if I can't use new sprites, I might have to make new classes look like Rudvich or something...

karsten

November 13, 2007, 02:21:16 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "VincentCraven"So karsten, are you suggesting that I add in swords that are only usable by this class? Adding the Ice brand formula to an ability makes that ability activate the weapon's elemental. Dunno how I'd get around that.

special swords might be a way too.... but i was actually thinking about adding elemental attack chance to your normal sword attacks... maybe you might use samurai's attacks as a base, change range to 1 and make them evadable... mmh

but actually you know better what can be done and what not...

VincentCraven

November 13, 2007, 08:31:15 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
That's worth a try. Note however that the damage will not vary based on your weapons power using the Draw Out formula.

karsten

November 13, 2007, 08:41:10 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "VincentCraven"That's worth a try. Note however that the damage will not vary based on your weapons power using the Draw Out formula.

for varying you might make those weapons equippable only by Mistic Knight, and having MA bonuses attached?

huthutchuck

November 13, 2007, 02:07:39 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by huthutchuck
Also, how about the equation of the magic guns where the weapon power is equal to the magic attack; just shorten the range.