• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

sRPG Tools Kickstarter Brainstorm

Started by lirmont, August 19, 2013, 01:08:58 pm

lirmont

August 31, 2013, 02:54:33 am #20 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:21:56 pm by lirmont
Early Morning Battle on the Plains (Event)
Different Background, Suggested Changes

Video: download.

Regular Background, Suggested Changes

--

Fixes and other changes in this version:

• Font image updates from Lijj.

• Font scale update (reported by Lijj).

• Different Clarion sprite (provided by Smash).

• Different Alistair sprite (provided by Smash).

• Different background, where applicable (provided by Smash).

• Bat animation changed to be 3 frames only (reported by Smash).

• Force-shorten text to increase readability (reported by Smash).

• Changes to Brangwine's entry animation.

• Addition of some equipment attachments to Alistair (hopefully to help hit home the idea that he's an Aegis; reminder: "aegis" literally means a shield; now he has one).

• Changed the exit animation, because I don't have back frames for the bats.

Thanks.

--

Code annotations: overview and full.

Choto

August 31, 2013, 08:42:29 am #21 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:49:11 am by Choto
Thanks for those code annotations. That should be of particular interest to Elric. It's not quite as simple as ASM-based commands in EVSP, but not terribly intimidating either. Oh Hey, There's no sprite limit! :D

Oh one more suggestion, should the flans be in their walking sequence since the bats are in their flapping sequence?

also... I thought the intent was to avoid use of FFT copyrighted stuff, why the chocobo?

lirmont

I'll change it so that the flans use their walking sequence. That was probably an unintended copy-paste decision.

Yes, chocobos are trademarked by Square-Enix (trademark), and of course that particular chocobo is directly ripped from FFT (which is copyrighted). His name is Brangwine, and he's part of a story of 4 chapters written by Smash (that's something like 20+ events, and this is one of them). Brangwine (and the music) will conveniently disappear from the version that's cut into the kickstarter video. The reference implementation game will not be related to this (amazing as the new art is); this customization/cohesion is just what should be aspired to (I mean, minus the chocobo, but there is reason for that).

I, of course, want to make sure anyone who comes looking here after seeing the video on kickstarter has something to see, too.

Thanks!

Mobius

Hey, on second thought, I think the video with the background actually exceeded my original expectations. It looks amazing when viewed from the top part of the map.

Damn, this is looking good.

I still got critique, but it's just small stuff now. Nitpicks. The main issues were taken care of perfectly above. 

Finishing touches, if there's still time:
I could give a recolor to those flans, as they're way too saturated and don't really fit with the others. Same for the Knights.

Also.. Maybe it's just me, but I really miss the text being drawn as it is spoken, with sound, like the original FFT. It would do wonders to this, but im not sure we want to add to Lirmont's programming bulk, or if it's even possible to implement in time. :P
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

lirmont

Just get any replacements to me in a PM or this thread. I forgot Monday was a work holiday, so the goal is a Tuesday submission (or, like Monday night) to kickstarter with the full promo video being posted on Sunday or Monday here.

No, the type-as-they-speak feature is not long. It's maybe 5 lines of code if it's linear. I just absolutely hate what it encourages ( l i t t l e mo n e y ) if I write it like how FFT wrote it (erroneously? treating spaces as spoken characters).

3lric

(little money) was done with a clearly untested Delay command in vanilla. There was no excuse for it, hence why you will never see anything like that in Jot5.

Also, I don't think saturation is the problem with the Flans, they look great, but they are clearly a different art style, as they still look FFT (as they were intended for) while the rest of the group looks less like FFT Style now.
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

August 31, 2013, 05:46:03 pm #26 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:59:37 pm by Lijj
That was refreshing. The walks look pretty good too ,not perfect but maybe with some minor frame editing they will.
Those guardian sprites.. they have a decent portion of Square's property on them; I think for that reason alone they should not be used.

EDIT/UPDATE

I like Smash's bg a lot!
Alistair's walk needs the most work IMO

Mobius

August 31, 2013, 06:03:25 pm #27 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:25:24 pm by Mobius
Quote from: Lijj on August 31, 2013, 05:46:03 pm
Those guardian sprites.. they have a decent portion of Square's property on them; I think for that reason alone they should not be used.

I have to disagree. The guardians look so good.

Not to mention, -I at least- don't have the time from today to monday, to make new Knights from scratch. Someone else may, however.
I recolored them from blue to brown and sent them to Lirmont just now.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.

lirmont

@lijj, I didn't realize the guardian was made that way; thanks for pointing that out. I'll look for some way to replace the squire chest, knight cloak, knight feet, and knight hands. I was already thinking about it, but I'm definitely going to have to make the battle footage be of the reference implementation. Hmm, do you mind if I use your red mage sprite and have it cast that ice spell we did an effect for a while ago? Thanks!

Lijj

Of course Lirmont! Only, that sprite doesn't appeal to many people so maybe something else. Ice would be nice though :).
I can try to help with the knights situation.. we just need some back-walking frames right?

lirmont

That is correct. They just walk in and go straight to standing. There are no other frames used now that the out animation is straight up. If you do help, thanks. I'll work on getting the video of that other scene done in the meantime. I have to do some recalculations to fit the 704x488 screen size, but I should have it by tonight. Thanks again.

This is the recolor Mobius refers to:

Lijj

Here's what I've got. I can do the back walking frames if you all approve of this design.
Left-most: Original, middle: Smash helm/palette, right-most: Fully custom (new cloak, boots and gloves[minor helm edit, one color change]).

lirmont

Wow. I like the one on the right. The cloak exudes the kind of presumed dignity that an honor guard might have; it seems like it'd fit well with how Alistair's cloak turned out. Thanks for doing this.

Lijj

September 01, 2013, 04:31:43 am #33 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:04:21 am by Lijj
Sweet..
Here is a now fully custom (very partial) sheet..

Looks like I'll have to touch up the gauntlets a bit tomorrow.

lirmont

Newest Suggested Changes

--

• Different Guardian sprite (provided by Lijj).

• Changes to Flan animation phase (reported by Choto).

• Typewritten text.

• Chicken noises (link).

Mobius

This is orgasmic Lijj

It's the 'proper' knight class FFT never had.

EDIT: Video was posted at the same time, didn't realize before.
About the latest video, this is almost flawless. I'd say it's ready. The guards make the whole thing look even better; even though it was only a cape change.. Makes such a big difference.

Speed of the text should be faster, that is all.

Lijj

September 01, 2013, 08:14:35 am #36 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:19:58 am by Lijj
Super glad you guys like the new guardian update! Excellent job on the helmet design Smash.
I agree the text seems too slow in this demo.

The added chicken noise is great! This demo definitely does the job of pumping up the audience I think; looks so fun!

Also, even though you can hardly see the details behind the cloak; I redid the boots and arms from scratch as well. So we have a fully custom sprite for the demo (yay)!

3lric

Well done Lijj \o/ very nice

Quote from: Mobius on August 31, 2013, 06:03:25 pm
I have to disagree. The guardians look so good.

Not to mention there is no time to make new Knights from scratch.

Smash, it's not about looking good or not, it's about copyright, which is the entire POINT in the first place.
Also, to hear you tell someone what there isn't time for was pretty funny.

None the less, great work fellas.

lirmont

Cumulative Changes

--

• %30 faster typewritten effect.

• Music fade out from event test added back in.

--

I mean, copyright issues being the point, he's probably only a chocobo sprite and some music away from having something totally free of that. Admittedly, finding someone capable of doing music like that and willing to do it for this project in this day and age may be iffy. I think I read something on one of these boards where someone wanted to trade something for music; they had a link to their other work (which did sound symphonic like FFT's stuff).

Now, of course, most of those sprites only half-exist at the moment, but there was a lot of smoke and mirrors in FFT, too. The stuff that isn't smoke and mirrors are the animations -- both at the engine level (my sprite animation wrapper) and underlying engine level (Panda3d's animation feature; Sequence/Parallel/intervals) --, the fonts (courtesy of my font tool and other real fonts), and the map and its texture (with the help of the 3d modeling software, Blender). And, hopefully, this particular work (needing to create an event) will help make it easier for all events going forward (regardless of game) in this engine. I mean, it was already easy to get to the event context, but now the actual event is much more human-readable. There's still work to be done, but this is a big step (in my opinion) towards continuing to go in the right direction as the engine develops.

3lric

Yeah I tried to contact that guy about music before as well. But once he realized he made a big derp by heaving this long post about wanting to know how to
PLAY Final Fantasy Hacktics. He kinda disappeared.

There is also Brittmarv though, he does wonderful music and may be willing to contribute to this.

I'll send him a PM