• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:23:00 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

WotL on Android

Started by Xifanie, June 05, 2015, 10:27:11 pm

Xifanie

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFT_en2&hl=en

It happened! We don't know how easy it will be to mod yet, but just letting out the news that the release is now official!

Thanks to Aadarm for pointing it out.

PS: Of course, it comes with all the issues from the iOS release... given that they "patched" the slow effect issue, I don't have a clue how hard it would be to revert the fix (will probably never happen), on top of adding Archaemic's slowdown removal.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

If anyone -does- buy this, I'd like to know how it is before I buy it myself (though I might just do it anyway).

Like: Will it resize to fit larger screens?
And did they really do any kind of patch for slow effects? I read some of the reviews and people still seem to think that is quite slow.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

dw6561

Some of those reveiws sound similar to the things I experience on the iOS version. The animations for some abilities like summons are actually faster than the sound effects. On top of that, the characters look hasted at normal speed. Also, sometimes when I use potions it will lag, but that's the only place I've seen it happen. It seems like they made the entire game run faster instead of actually fixing the issue, but I could be wrong.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

scabdates

This is far from Square Enix's worst port...  I'm not sure where the complaints about the display stem from as it takes up my full screen on an LG G3 and looks fine. I'm not sure what exactly people are expecting from a port. It's not a remake, and there's only so much they're going to change in order to optimize it for the new platform.

It shouldn't be nearly as expensive as it is, IMO, but Android games made by traditionally console-oriented companies tend to be very pricey.

Jumza

June 08, 2015, 07:14:42 pm #4 Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:51:56 pm by Jumza
Thought I'd mention some stuff:

It does fit larger screens! It's pretty good looking too.
The hidden Music / Sound Test can still be accessed by making Ramza's name PolkaPolka while starting a new game.

Edit: Beat Orbonne, you can skip scenes which is nice. The movies play really well and at a normal pace, the battles are a little off though. The speed at which different effects, attacks and camera movements play are all a little off from each other, which can be a bit strange. But over all, it seems to run fine. Especially considering that this tablet I'm using isn't exactly high end (or new).

Edit 2.0: Changing jobs is hilarious because it reverts the sprite back to it's pixelated form (why store them at all if you just use the updated graphics 99% of the time???), then it flashes back into high def once the transformation is done.
Menu's open painfully slowly and I think that's the main thing holding this games speed back.

2 days later: Random battle music can randomly be the unused music that is a mix of the song that plays during randoms / the song that plays when you fight Meliadoul. I have no idea what any of them are called, but I know that that particular song is never used in Vanilla and I'm 99% not in PSP WoTL either.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

ArkthePieKing

I've actually been really enjoying this port so far. The touch controls aren't perfect, but they're forgiving enough that they can be worked with. The main issue I have is so many of the sound effects just don't work with the faster battle speed. The game runs at a blitz, which is really nice because I don't want to spend 30+ minutes in a battle on my phone, but it broke a lot of the sound effects in the process, but that's a minor complaint. Seriously, I like it a lot. Now if only I wasn't so reluctant to grind the ridiculous amount of JP it takes to get a Dark Knight...

Marche

Finally got it.. It works better than when I use the ppsspp version so that's a plus

Chronosplit

June 20, 2015, 12:41:45 pm #7 Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:37:22 pm by Chronosplit
It actually works worse than the PSP version on mine, then again the last edition of the Nexus 7 is getting on in years.  I kinda expected it to work because of when the iOS port came out but whatever.  Lags terribly throughout the entire time, even cutscenes.  It's somewhat better than most of Square's shoddy ports however. :P

I wouldn't be surprised if they just sped it up instead of fixing the problem, I wonder if there's a way to slow that down?

Barren

For me it worked way better than the PSP version. Its probably because my android is a Android Maxx (not a typo) and has better processing power. I did notice only a slight sound effect sync issue only with agrias' and gafgarion's sword skills so far but that's just me being nit picky. No lag from me whatsoever.

I've gotten used to the controls just fine. I played Final Fantasy 4 on the android so I'm used to touch screen controls. Graphics are much better than I imagined so thumbs up for me!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

AllUltima

This is a pretty solid port, since there isn't slowdown and they fixed the reverb issue that ruined the music in the PSP port.

But if you haven't rooted, it appears to be impossible to backup or transfer your save at all. It sadly does not natively support any form of cloud save. Helium does not work.

Keep in mind that everything since the PSP version has prevented you from stealing from Elmdor (they gave him safeguard). Since there is no multiplayer in the android version, there is probably NO WAY to acquire the Genji Gear.

I would LOVE to see a way to get genji gear modded back in. Removing Safeguard from Elmdor seems like it'd be cake as far as modding goes. Would also greatly appreciate instructions / workaround/ mod for backup/restoring my save file on my unrooted G4 as well.

Elric

You get pieces of the Genji Gear from the Aliste fights.

AllUltima

QuoteYou get pieces of the Genji Gear from the Aliste fights.

I think you only get the Genji Armor from him. The rest of the genji gear (shield, helmet, glove) also cannot be acquired in the iOS version due to the removed multiplayer, which I assume will end up applying to android too. Aliste and Elmdor equip the gear though, but they both have Safeguard.

Koruten

July 11, 2015, 04:48:20 am #12 Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:18:53 am by Koruten
Quote from: Jumza on June 08, 2015, 07:14:42 pm
2 days later: Random battle music can randomly be the unused music that is a mix of the song that plays during randoms / the song that plays when you fight Meliadoul. I have no idea what any of them are called, but I know that that particular song is never used in Vanilla and I'm 99% not in PSP WoTL either.

I have the IOS version and what they did is they made all the soundtracks into audio files instead of playing the music through realtime via a midi-esque instrument set, and they merged what they call Apoplexy 1(Random Battle) and Apoplexy 2(Meliadoul) into one file.

Also for some unknown reason they converted the unused tracks onto the port. Probably just to prevent crashes. You can actually listen to them with any music player by just renaming the audio files from .caf into .wav. (unless your music player supports .caf, then you're all fine.)

Also Apoplexy 2 was 'unused' cause it was never released with the OST. It is still technically a used track however.

Skip to 1:10 to hear Apoplexy 2.

EDIT : AllUltima, iirc from playing that event, you get all the genji gear.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DeadRamza

My game freezes at Finnath Creek right after the first yellow chocobo attacks.
I created a new game to test if it's because i got to level 99 before reaching it.
Has anyone had this problem?

I'm using a Galaxy S5 on this.

HebrewToYou

Haven't had this problem, DeadRamza. I've played through the WotL Android version several times now with no crash. Knowing what I do about building Android apps, I'm blaming Samsung. ;)

Angel

It seems to happen on both iOS and Android, but not 100% of the time, at any rate.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Eerekai

It seems anything with an added animation (spells, potions, some abilities) lags the game. Periodically it lags the game to crashing entirely. Anyone know any adjustments I can make to prevent this from happening?

LG G Vista

Angel

Sorry, you're out of luck for now. Square-Enix needs to learn how to bugtest and fix their broken code.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

FrozenDragon150

Quote from: Toshiko on November 07, 2015, 01:55:17 pm
Sorry, you're out of luck for now. Square-Enix needs to learn how to bugtest and fix their broken code.

Honestly, by this point FFT belongs more to the hacking community than SE itself, they should probably just hand out the source code to Xif already xD

Angel

Unfortunately, the source code no longer exists. Well, for the original game, at least. PSP WotL is a hack in and of itself, with the iOS and Android versions being a hack of that hack, each successive iteration growing more and more broken and buggy.