• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:05:19 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

RavenOfRazgriz

On the one hand, that Cthulhu Sprite looks pretty cool and not too far off from being finished.

On the other hand, actually using that sprite means giving Cthulhu an HP bar.  And everyone knows, you never give Cthulhu an HP bar.

Rfh

I've seen many Altima based attemps of spriting, but they didn't go further than their concept. Now you can be in the history. Keep working on it, Conman  ;)
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

CONMAN

QuoteI've seen many Altima based attemps of spriting, but they didn't go further than their concept. Now you can be in the history. Keep working on it, Conman

Thanks Rfh!  I'm still working on it!

On the other hand, actually using that sprite means giving Cthulhu an HP bar.  And everyone knows, you never give Cthulhu an HP bar.

I've considered this dilemma Raven.  While I have never played it, I believe there is a lovecraft table top game which gives the player "Sanity" Hit points.  This sort of made me consider the idea of having like a handful of rounds before the party goes mad and a game over, or warp back to world map occurs.  Something like having an incremental variable go up on Cthulhu's turns as a count down.  If I recall correctly, Cthulhu probably exists outside of this dimension to some degree (maybe I'm mixed up, I've been on a lovefcraft audio book tear while spriting) and can't really be killed.  If damaged enough Cthulhu would return home for slumber.

On a side note, I recall a sahagin sprite floating around forever ago that would be great to pair with cthulhu.  I don't think it was finished, but fish people are the appropriate henchmen (or to be used as Dagon).

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: CONMAN on April 30, 2017, 10:29:08 pmI've considered this dilemma Raven.  While I have never played it, I believe there is a lovecraft table top game which gives the player "Sanity" Hit points.  This sort of made me consider the idea of having like a handful of rounds before the party goes mad and a game over, or warp back to world map occurs.  Something like having an incremental variable go up on Cthulhu's turns as a count down.  If I recall correctly, Cthulhu probably exists outside of this dimension to some degree (maybe I'm mixed up, I've been on a lovefcraft audio book tear while spriting) and can't really be killed.  If damaged enough Cthulhu would return home for slumber.

This is all very easily doable, yes.  You can easily have an event that increments, say, every one of Cthulhu's turns that points out how many turns are left before the player characters simply go insane, then Game Over them if they take too long.

Quote from: CONMAN on April 30, 2017, 10:29:08 pmOn a side note, I recall a sahagin sprite floating around forever ago that would be great to pair with cthulhu.  I don't think it was finished, but fish people are the appropriate henchmen (or to be used as Dagon).

I'll try to acquire this for you, hold.

Lijj

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 30, 2017, 10:35:59 pm
I'll try to acquire this for you, hold.

Good job on Cthulu!

Here's the fish henchman:

CONMAN

Thanks for the Sahagin!  I was hoping it had come along further than I had last seen it, but I think I may try to use it (at least piece-meal) in the future.

I've made a little more progress on the sheet. The arms/hands need some refining, but I'm happy to have hit them all.  Started to mess with the back legs.  I keep looking at the back of the head and then get distracted with something else.  I keep messing with one of the wings and then completely undoing my tinkering- I may simply fix up the one terrible back wing. 

I started to mess with a port. Right now it's just really a squid and ghost head fusion with a couple tweaks.  Honestly, after that, I just kind of stared at it...like uhhh.. where am I going with this?

Pride

The community also needs a bear sprite because bears are cool enemies :3
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

CONMAN

May 13, 2017, 12:31:28 pm #247 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:10:40 pm by CONMAN
QuoteThe community also needs a bear sprite because bears are cool enemies :3

Bears are cool but werewolves>bears  :lol:

Still plugging away at this bastard!  Honestly, I know if I divert my attention away very long, this sprite won't be finished.  There is always so much excitement when starting a sprite... and the grudging tedium... so too with cthulhu.

Getting pretty close.  Major focus now is back legs and probably another look at the back of the head.  Gave up on making new wings.  I did enlarge the awkward back left wing that always looked too small.  Some parts still look funky, but are covered by back wings, so that's cool.  The port is kind of meh, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.  Perhaps the port needs to be a little darker.

edit: Totally forgot to mention this.  The "Kanzen" sprite type seems to have some hardcoding limiting it's use to the Altima 2 sprite slot.  Therefore, short of some asm, this sprite has to replace the final boss! Which is fine for me but.... 

I sort of assume the same applies to the "arute" sprite type as well.  This is a little unfortunate as I had hoped to at some point replace this altima with "God of Magic" Kefka at some point.

Vanya

There is nothing less than absolutely awesome about this sprite. Fantastic work so far, keep it up!
I'm contemplating making a mini hack for my girlfriend just so she can fight this glorious sexy beast.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

CONMAN

Thanks for the compliments Vanya!  I've taken this pretty close to the end.  I don't think I can put too much more into this.  Here is an update

CONMAN

Dating back to my very first post, I've been wanting to have a large dragon humanoid sprite.  Recently I tried my hand at a couple of attempts at a larger human type and a flying human type dragon, but was wasn't happy with them.  I really needed something to be big boss of the lizard men.   

Frankein-spriting a minotaur/tiamat/byblos seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted.  I'm going to try to change the axe into a sword on the attack frames, add a shield to the defend poses, maybe edit the "level-up pose", mess with the tail, maybe add some fins, finish messing with the feet and possibly tweak the chest to look a little better.

Vanya

That's a good idea. I'd definitely be interested to see this once develop.
¯\(°_0)/¯

CONMAN

Tiny bit more progress here.  I've stolen the iron giant sword from Luiakyn (Omnir) and have popped it in there for a couple of attack frames.  I've managed quite a bit with mostly copy pasta and only a little actual spriting work so far :twisted:... however that will need to end soon.  I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far and can happily say that after this guy is finished I'll basically NEED only about a sprite and a half that I require to finish my mod!

I should have another update on this guy on Thor's day.

Guru

I wonder if it might be better to make the sword handle a little longer? It would save a lot of editing for the swing frames where the arms are spread out further along the pole. Looks good so far though, the colors seem to work nicely with what I remember of the reptilian race.

CONMAN

Having a larger sword handle would have been a good move Guru, but I hadn't seen your comment until I had progressed a little farther. 

Not as much work accomplished as I would have liked today.  I like where the front 7 attack poses are sitting right now.  I still like the idea of adding some fins.  The chest is still kind of a grey blob from one pose to another... Not sure about the tail right now. Trying not to think about the port just yet.

CONMAN

Haven't messed with this guy in a while, but thought I would toss this update out there.  Removed the shield from blocking frames.  It pops up when charging for breath attacks- looks out of place.  I need to put a legit tail on there.  Tried fusing some fins on the back- looked so-so but wasn't really not sure it could look okay on front views.  Made a little change to the away-facing head.

The port is just another dragon face tweek like the lizard man.  I had a couple other attempts that really didn't pan out.  I like how this looks on paper, but in game, the minotaur feel is pretty strong....

Valkirst

My god Conman these are phenomenal. I only have one point of input and that is potentially changing the palette of the dragon-kin to what?! I'onno... just to differentiate from the Minotaur somewhat.
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

CONMAN

February 15, 2019, 01:55:42 pm #257 Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:15:01 pm by CONMAN
Wow, almost a year to the day of my last sprite post! While I have definitely dabbled here and there, I never had anything I really wanted to show until now!  My hope is that by posting this I'll feel the need to push on and finish this.

I'm hoping to have my own Lucavi bipedal griffin. Basically this is my signature Frankenstein mashup of beasts into something hopefully worthwhile.  These are probably not the final colors I'm going to use, I'm going to consolidate and create some free ones to make this look a little more like a classical griffin.  I'll probably change the head color, possibly to match the chest.  I think I'm going to change the feet into lion feet.  Mess with the tail to get that little lion puff. 

I'm using the cockatrice sprite sheet to match up.  This way I have 3 walking and 3 flying graphics to cycle. If you pop this into shishi and hit the animation tab, you need to go up until 15 and later to see the proper walking and flying poses in sequence.  I haven't yet checked to see if this is supported on the Lucavi sequences...

also here is the dragon lord as a bitmap.

edit: totally forgot my manners, Vanya made beaked chocobo's that I'm tweaking for the head!

Elric

Vanya

Sweet! Always happy to see something I made be useful to others. :D
That Lucavi concept is awesome. Can't wait to see it progress. :)
And the Dragon Lord came out great, too.
¯\(°_0)/¯