• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:27:57 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to play this hacked game

Started by somenoob, September 02, 2016, 10:08:50 pm

somenoob

Hi, i'm playing JOT5. This is my first time to play mod.

My simple question is, how to play it? This game is very difficult, and it needs some big efforts to train members when I try to make it easier.
So question is, does this game intend to play with modding code for my (or each player's) taste first? Do I need to mod something for myself to play this game?

3lric

I wouldn't, since the resources arent available for the public and so adding ASMs/changing things in the patcher will fuck you in the end.

It really isn't that hard. I'm assuming you haven't even looked in the Jot5 Ch1 section of the forum since you are posting this in a really strange place when it should be posted there.

Go there and look at the Battle Logs thread. There is lots of help there and if you actually post there with questions, I'm sure people will help you out.

There are people who have beaten Ch1 at level 10, as well as people who have beaten it with only generics at level 40-50.

It's only actually difficult if you aren't very good at TRPGs, or refuse to give up vanilla habits. Branch out from your base jobs and learn some wizard, monk and priest skills.

Devs don't give out much more info than that, and that includes myself as the creator. So I would suggest going and posting where I mentioned above.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

I know I've posted a lot of useful tips for Jot5 here and there in the proper topic myself, but the biggest general tip is that this simply isn't like normal FFT where the jobs are horribly imbalanced - so make sure you get good use out of the early jobs; don't just try to rush to Ninja or whatever. You can send a couple characters to climb all the way up the trees, sure, but this isn't a game where the majority of your enemies bring nothing more threatening than Attack and Fire 1 to the table, so you'd better be sure you're not doing that either.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

somenoob

Quote from: Elric on September 02, 2016, 10:18:16 pm
I wouldn't, since the resources arent available for the public and so adding ASMs/changing things in the patcher will fuck you in the end.

Good.

It really isn't that hard. I'm assuming you haven't even looked in the Jot5 Ch1 section of the forum since you are posting this in a really strange place when it should be posted there.

Yeah, I've been searching for a right place to post, but many of the sub-forums seemed to have rules which limits activities for modders,...

Go there and look at the Battle Logs thread. There is lots of help there and if you actually post there with questions, I'm sure people will help you out.

Sounds very helpful,I'll go there to check it out :)

There are people who have beaten Ch1 at level 10, as well as people who have beaten it with only generics at level 40-50.

Oh, this info really cheers me up.

It's only actually difficult if you aren't very good at TRPGs, or refuse to give up vanilla habits. Branch out from your base jobs and learn some wizard, monk and priest skills.

Well, Vanilla has alternative ways to make it easier such as propositions. I expected some story battles was defeatable without scouting the battle. I played Vanilla with a style that playing next story battle, train members by additional random battle or propositions from bars at cities when I was lost the story battle, then retry the battle and the following several story battles is defeatable without "retry" that means don't need scouting the next battles.
Personally I like battles using tactics but without scouting.
JOT5, first several battles are not required scouting and/or training with random battles, but seems suddenly getting very harder and start needing scouting at "every next" missions.
This is just my impression, not complaining to you. This mod is still great. Ok, I will start scouting to make strategy at each missions in this mod.

somenoob

Quote from: nyzer on September 02, 2016, 11:26:21 pm
I know I've posted a lot of useful tips for Jot5 here and there in the proper topic myself, but the biggest general tip is that this simply isn't like normal FFT where the jobs are horribly imbalanced - so make sure you get good use out of the early jobs; don't just try to rush to Ninja or whatever. You can send a couple characters to climb all the way up the trees, sure, but this isn't a game where the majority of your enemies bring nothing more threatening than Attack and Fire 1 to the table, so you'd better be sure you're not doing that either.

I do rather not like a play style of reading wiki first, so I didn't rush jobs. I started this mod and soon noticed that this mod limits the way to train and boost characters. That is one good way for game balance I know. I notice that each items/abilities is more useful than Vanilla like that Spiked Boots is not practically needed to wear in Vanilla but in this mod you can utilize the item more effectively.
Thanks about confirmation about early jobs anyway.

3lric

1) Use the edit button. Do not double post within 24 hours of post.

2)
Quote from: somenoob on September 02, 2016, 11:38:58 pm
Well, Vanilla has alternative ways to make it easier such as propositions.

Uh, no. Not in Chapter 1 they didn't. The Jot5 Ch1 re-release has a bunch more shit to allow you to get more JP and EXP though, as well as new JP and EXP formulas. That should be out eventually. Xif has to finish a few spreadsheets before we can start fully testing the new version.

3) I've seen LPs with people beating almost every battle without dying or having to scout ahead. Most people seem to have the most trouble on Bariaus Hill, Sweegy Woods, and the end boss. Other than that I really haven't seen to many complaints about any other battles, sans a few of the randoms that are being re-evaluated.

somenoob

September 03, 2016, 01:38:14 am #6 Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:43:57 am by somenoob
Quote from: Elric on September 03, 2016, 12:44:22 am
3) I've seen LPs with people beating almost every battle without dying or having to scout ahead. Most people seem to have the most trouble on Bariaus Hill, Sweegy Woods, and the end boss. Other than that I really haven't seen to many complaints about any other battles, sans a few of the randoms that are being re-evaluated.

I've seen a LP that was what leads me to play this mod. The LP was great but once after I played the same stages, easily found out that LP would be made by composing best result among many retries because many of the missions in the LP was win based on series of "good lucks". So that LP was not a playthrough without dying or having to scout ahead.

Yeah, what I refered to before as "every next" missions was the serial missions of Bariaus Hill, Sweegy Woods, and Mandalia Plains.
I like the hardness of random battles pretty much and I would say you need not to re-evaluate them. It is rest of the funs that playing hard randoms and find out tactics to win them. The good thing is once you find the solution for a certain set of enemies/map on random battles, you can start easily farming JP on the battle.

Nyzer

RNG is a part of the game, but it's not always just down to luck. There's a mod out there for FFT that sets up the AI for heavy sandbagging, and some LPers are experienced with it, so they come into Jot5 already used to having a harder time with the AI than the FFT "let's have you fight low level Archers and Knights deep into Chapter 4!" style. Those LPers know what to take advantage of without having to think about it as much as someone who's just played vanilla FFT.

That said, you do have a magic bullet at your disposal for countering bad RNG or forcing good RNG instead - save states. Use them every several turns as a precaution, and you can easily recover from something horrendous like accidentally screwing up the range on an ability. Or you can attempt to force Link's Ice Arrow to cause slow if you're in a corner and need to get some healing done.

That isn't how you should be playing, mind you, but if you're still in that post-FFT adjustment period where you're not used to being unable to brute force most encounters yet, it's an option that can make things significantly easier.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: somenoob on September 03, 2016, 01:38:14 am
I've seen a LP that was what leads me to play this mod. The LP was great but once after I played the same stages, easily found out that LP would be made by composing best result among many retries because many of the missions in the LP was win based on series of "good lucks". So that LP was not a playthrough without dying or having to scout ahead.

Yeah, what I refered to before as "every next" missions was the serial missions of Bariaus Hill, Sweegy Woods, and Mandalia Plains.
I like the hardness of random battles pretty much and I would say you need not to re-evaluate them. It is rest of the funs that playing hard randoms and find out tactics to win them. The good thing is once you find the solution for a certain set of enemies/map on random battles, you can start easily farming JP on the battle.

Sucks to be the person who's LP you watched. The ones I've watched haven't been that way at all. Their playthrus were straight through, aside from some randoms that werent recorded.

Anyway, as I already mentioned, this is posted in the wrong place. I'm locking this thread. IF you want to continue, then post in the proper section. No idea what you are talking about about the sub-forum rules, as they are absolutely no different than any other part of the forum...

Quote from: somenoob on September 02, 2016, 11:38:58 pm
Yeah, I've been searching for a right place to post, but many of the sub-forums seemed to have rules which limits activities for modders,...

You aren't a modder, you are playing a mod, you aren't opening a new thread for a mod you are making... big difference