• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Raise the Level Cap

Started by Darien490, September 16, 2014, 07:36:09 pm

Darien490

I've always wondered if there was a way to raise the level cap, as I feel like 50 is too low. Is this possible? I have a basic understanding of hex editing, but when it comes to finding pointers and stuff, I'm clueless.

Darthatron

Quote from: Darien490 on September 16, 2014, 07:36:09 pm
I've always wondered if there was a way to raise the level cap, as I feel like 50 is too low. Is this possible? I have a basic understanding of hex editing, but when it comes to finding pointers and stuff, I'm clueless.

Yes it's relatively easy actually. The tedious part is then changing the stat-growth so stuff like the Blade-Biters and Jelly's don't become useless late-game when they hit 999 defence too early.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Darien490

Okay, cool. So, I know how to change the stat-growth stuff with the AIO editor. Is there an option somewhere in that program that I'm missing to change the level cap? Or do I need to alter the file manually?

Darthatron

September 17, 2014, 12:05:12 am #3 Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:00:41 am by Darthatron
Quote from: Darien490 on September 16, 2014, 11:57:56 pm
Okay, cool. So, I know how to change the stat-growth stuff with the AIO editor. Is there an option somewhere in that program that I'm missing to change the level cap? Or do I need to alter the file manually?

Sorry I forgot to add that.

You say you get hex editing, yes? Change the byte at 0C9BAE from 32 to 63 to change the level cap the 99. Do the same with the byte at 0C9BAA.

Darien490

September 17, 2014, 12:14:59 am #4 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:24:14 am by Darien490
Okay, cool, thanks. That was easy a change. I'll test it later just to make sure it works. Side question, how does the AIO editor estimate the "max stat at lvl 50"? I tried calculating some of them myself, but I always get a different number than what the editor says.

EDIT: Also, is there a way to alter EXP and/or AP gains? Getting larger amounts of EXP might make a higher level cap more feasible. I know AP is given based on the mission, but I'm wondering if there's a quick-and-dirty method for increasing how much you get. That's not too important, though. If it's a matter of either editing the missions one-by-one or editing the ability requirements one-by-one, I might just deal with it as-is. And I'm guessing there's a hard limit for stats at 999?

Darthatron

RoundDown(Base * 1.15) + Ceiling(Growth) * 49

Darien490

Huh. I never would have guessed something like that. Thanks again. I don't know if you noticed, but I edited my previous post a bunch of times. :mrgreen:

Darthatron

Quote from: Darien490 on September 17, 2014, 12:14:59 amAlso, is there a way to alter EXP and/or AP gains? Getting larger amounts of EXP might make a higher level cap more feasible. I know AP is given based on the mission, but I'm wondering if there's a quick-and-dirty method for increasing how much you get. That's not too important, though. If it's a matter of either editing the missions one-by-one or editing the ability requirements one-by-one, I might just deal with it as-is. And I'm guessing there's a hard limit for stats at 999?
That is a little bit harder. You could double it or half it pretty easily, but anything else become a lot more difficult. And doubling it kind of ruins the point of doubling the level cap, doesn't it?

And the reason it uses that equation is because the game handles the base stats of units somewhere random between 0.85 and 1.15 times the "Base". The growth is rounded up (to the nearest whole number) and multiplied by how the amount of times the unit "levels up"

Darien490

Quote from: Darthatron on September 17, 2014, 01:30:42 am
That is a little bit harder. You could double it or half it pretty easily, but anything else become a lot more difficult. And doubling it kind of ruins the point of doubling the level cap, doesn't it?

Well, on a normal run-through for me, I'm usually around lvl 40 by the time I reach the end of the game. Doubling the EXP rate could potentially put me around lvl 80 by that point, which I think is kinda what I'd like to see.

I've decided I don't care about the AP gain thing. That's fine the way it is, and if I really want to, I can change some of the AP requirements later on.

From what I've read, I'm guessing there's no way to have four-digit stats? Or is it just really complicated?

rrs_kai

September 17, 2014, 01:00:08 pm #9 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:07:02 pm by rrs_kai
I am interested in this idea of raising the level cap to Lv.99 and probably halving the stat gains.

It solves the issue of rapid leveling in FFTA:GrimGrimoire and also makes level advantage much less of a problem.
I want to see outcome of this idea (just level cap and half stat growth, not sure about doubling the exp gain) and if it changes/balances any aspect of the game.
Quote from: Darthatron on September 16, 2014, 08:12:00 pm
The tedious part is then changing the stat-growth so stuff like the Blade-Biters and Jelly's don't become useless late-game when they hit 999 defence too early.

One thing I can see is that Lv.3 expose (99/3) would be more of a problem than Lv.5 death (50/5) because both of those skills hit all units on the map in FFTA:GG.

Darien490

Quote from: rrs_kai on September 17, 2014, 01:00:08 pm
One thing I can see is that Lv.3 expose (99/3) would be more of a problem than Lv.5 death (50/5) because both of those skills hit all units on the map in FFTA:GG.

Well, it makes sense that if you can change the level cap to 99 (which I confirmed works) you can change it to 100. It may not show up correctly because of how level is displayed, but in theory, it should solve that problem.

I forgot to actually ask in my previous post, but how exactly do you double/half the EXP rate? Oh, and the stat cap thing.

Darthatron

Fair enough.

Change the bytes at 12E658 from 25 0C to E5 0B. This will double the exp you get in battle.

rrs_kai

September 22, 2014, 11:38:57 pm #12 Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:44:44 am by rrs_kai
Quote from: Darthatron on September 17, 2014, 12:05:12 am
You say you get hex editing, yes? Change the byte at 0C9BAE from 32 to 63 to change the level cap the 99.

how to hex edit? can it be done in the AIO or is there a hex edit tool?

*edit*
I used hex editor neo to change 000c9bae from 32 to 63 and it makes Lv.99 displayble. If a char starts above Lv.50 it changes them to Lv.99 but their stats dont increase, they stop at lv.50 stats. I made a Lv.49 char hit a Lv.99 char and he gained 100exp and got to lv50, the next turn he only got 99exp and stayed at lv.50 and does not seem to gain any exp after that.

Also, is it possible to change one particular stat limit from 999 to a lower number like 149(speed limit in FFTA2)?

Darthatron

September 23, 2014, 02:03:55 am #13 Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:24:09 am by Darthatron
Whoops. Do the same with the byte at 0C9BAA. I fixed my other post.

In regards to the different limits: In short, yes. But it's a bit complex as they are all compared against the same value at the moment.

EDIT: Actually with such a small value (149), you can do it. Changing the bytes at 0C9CAC from 53 49 to 95 21 will cap Speed at 149 (0x95 in Hexadecimal).

rrs_kai

September 23, 2014, 11:02:06 am #14 Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:30:43 am by rrs_kai
Quote from: Darthatron on September 23, 2014, 02:03:55 am
Whoops. Do the same with the byte at 0C9BAA. I fixed my other post.(0x95 in Hexadecimal).

EDIT: Actually with such a small value (149), you can do it. Changing the bytes at 0C9CAC from 53 49 to 95 21 will cap Speed at 149 (0x95 in Hexadecimal).

It does allow the character to go beyond lv.50 along with scaling stats but only if you start the game above lv.50
You cannot cross lv.50 because the exp stops at 99, even if I start the game at lv.72 I can only gain 99exp never reaching the next level (tested without cheats in the hope of gaining 10exp but only got 7exp).
Can the lv.50 exp check be bypassed?

The speed limit works fine.

*edit*
Can the AP rate be doubled globally? I decreased the AP costs for skills but since text editing is not available these changes are not reflected on the equipment, so I want to change the rewarded AP.
I found out how to edit equipment skill names descriptions in AIO

Mjolln

You can edit the AP rewards with the Nightmare modules  ;)

jacobprater1983

I have hex edited the two 32 to 64. The enemies in random battles will be above 50, however Babus joined at level 51 and will not gain levels past his starting level. Is there a fix for this?

Darthatron

January 28, 2015, 06:09:48 pm #17 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:35:51 pm by Darthatron
Oh I never saw there was another problem! So sorry. Change the byte at 12E672 from 31 to 62 to change the level at which you stop gaining EXP from <=49 to <=98.

I'm sorry I was blind :(

bcrobert

January 28, 2015, 10:40:16 pm #18 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:09:02 am by bcrobert
Just to make sure I have everything right:

Change max level to 99:

0c9bae: 63
0c9baa: 63
12e672: 62

Double exp gain:

12e658: e5 08

Adding this to the archives misc hacks file.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Darthatron

0c9bae: 63
0c9baa: 63
12e672: 62

Double exp gain:

12e658: e5 08

I made a mistake in my previous post. It's in the experience gain function.

Currently it's:
If the unit is level 49 or lower and has over 99 experience, let it level up.

We need to change it to:
If the unit is level 98 or lower and has over 99 experience, let it level up.