• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:50:50 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Making new monsters with breeding mechanics.

Started by RavenCurow, April 03, 2018, 07:24:45 am

RavenCurow

If I use an empty job slot to make a new monster, say a white chocobo, how would I make that chocobo be available through eggs? Is that even possible? Will it work if I just make the monster job or will it take an ASM hack?
  • Modding version: PSX
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?

Nyzer

I don't think anyone has ever come up with a hack for that. People usually turn breeding off, not on.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

The game only allows the generic monster graphic IDs to reproduce, and it's coded in a way that it multiplies the ID of the graphic by 3, and the next 3 jobs will be a possible outcome as an egg. Basically it's in no way flexible, and that doesn't even take into account the palette or sprite limitations of UNIT.BIN which would be a real goddamn pain to work past. Monsters have 1-3 palettes available in UNIT.BIN and you can't just increase it just like that; it's all hardcoded and a tight fit.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RavenCurow

I see. Oh well. I guess if that's the case I probably will get rid of breeding and stick to taming then. Hmm this will be difficult now that I think of it because I can't have multiple colors draw from the same sprite since for monsters each color is a different job. Unfortunate. The only way to do it is add new monsters as special jobs. Which I think works to a degree, but now that I think of it monster formation sprites are bigger. Now what to do with this white Chocobo sprite.
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?