• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:58:02 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Knight Sword in-battle animation for Fellswords (Solved)

Started by BleuVII, October 16, 2016, 04:26:17 pm

BleuVII

Hi guys. In my hack, I've replaced the Bag family with Fell Swords. I've done some graphical replacement so the Fell Swords are recolors of the Knight Swords (black, gray, and red) within the menus. However, within battle, the game still displays the generic sword graphic instead of the special Knight Swords. Does anyone know how to make the in-battle graphic change?
  • Modding version: WotL

Nyzer

I'm not sure you can. IIRC, combat weapon appearances are hardcoded to choose a particular battle sprite, and I don't think you can change which sprite it chooses on WotL. If these were, like, axes, you could cobble something together and replace the Axe sprite, but Fell Swords just use regular Sword sprites as far as I'm aware.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

BleuVII

Thanks for the help. I realized on the way into work this morning that I could clone Excalibur to the bags to test for sure whether it is hardcoded or not. I will post my testing results.

3lric

October 17, 2016, 06:43:36 pm #3 Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:55:24 pm by Elric
No one ASMs WotL. There is a spreadsheet to change in battle graphics for the PSX version. Wont work with WotL
  • Modding version: PSX

Bonesy

i wonder if SMF supports making links flash fun bright colors that lead to a topic called THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU HACK WOTL
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

3lric

This might possibly be your most relevant post ever on FFH, Bonesy. Thank you for that.

BleuVII

Thanks for the answers. My tests also conclude it is hardcoded.

Bonesy

Quote from: Elric on October 17, 2016, 08:28:50 pm
This might possibly be your most relevant post ever on FFH, Bonesy. Thank you for that.

i'm actually half-serious, a sticky would be a step in the right direction but i'm not exactly qualified to do that both in the forum power department and the authority on the subject department
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Argy

I agree totally with having a sticky about what can be done, in terms of hacking WoTL. Exactly like this post

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9675.0

But for WoTL. Looking at ASM, tactext, patcher, spriting etc

I started with WoTL, years and years ago but the limitations where crippling, if you really wanted to sink your teeth into the game. The tools and support available for FFTand the hacking opportunities far outweigh anything that can be done for WoTL.
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!