• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Sage Knowledge Entries

Started by Eternal, May 08, 2013, 11:56:38 pm

Eternal

For those familiar with FFXII, each Bestiary entry had a "Sage Knowledge" entry, which would give you hints about what bazaar items are need to make bazaar packages and would give various bits of random trivia about the world of Ivalice. For PW 2.0, I'll be adding Sage Knowledge entries on each item, akin to what LD was doing with items for Mercenaries. Far from the finished product, but here are some screenshots of what I have in mind.

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Reks

Heh, this is cool. I loved reading the entries for hours on end, cuz I like game lore and stuff.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

MountainDew~

Quote from: Reks on May 09, 2013, 12:27:33 am
Heh, this is cool. I loved reading the entries for hours on end, cuz I like game lore and stuff.

QFT
  • Discord username: Holographic #1363

Eternal

What are some things you guys would like to see entries of?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Reks

Quote from: Eternal on May 15, 2013, 06:14:00 pm
What are some things you guys would like to see entries of?

... Everything? Kidding, though I DO want to eventually. Hmm.... How about one from each type of equipment piece? *weapon, headgear, armor, accessory, ect*

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

The Damned

(Damn it. I kept forgetting to comment on this.)

So, first things first. It's good to see you back and (visibly) working on this.

Like Reks and MountainDew~ and Dome, I rather like this idea, much for the same reasons, though also because both my current patches are moderately influenced by FFXII already as it is. I think doing it for everything, while consistent, would be a bit...much, especially if you're still going to have some utterly generic weapons like "Dagger" or "Broad Sword" and whatever you. You could probably still get away with doing Lore for that since FFXII did, but it would probably end up being unrelated, which I'm unsure if you want.

That said, I personally think that you should definitely do Lore for all Accessories and all Chemist Items; you should maybe do it for all Shields too. After that, besides doing it for rare equipment or buyable equipment with unusual attributes, like Mirror Mail, or foreign designs, like all Katana & Ninjato, I'm unsure.

Reks's suggestion for doing it for one of each type of equipment piece is also rather reasonable.

I'm unsure for many reasons, though here are the two main ones:

1. Story-wise, in thinking about it, I still have no real idea what Parted Ways is about. Compared to, say, Embargo where the most broad, obvious story changes are kinda obvious from the title, Parted Ways could mean anything. Given that a lot of Lore is dependent on the story since Lore is basically backstory to that story...yeah.

2. Mechanically, where are you going to get the room for all this? This is something I've wanted to do as well, but I thought it would end up being way too unwieldy, not to mention space-intensive, to do it for 300+ items. Being my lazy self, I of course haven't looked into it too heavily or anything still. I have to ask this though: Isn't this going to end up eating into other description or maybe even other game space?

Other than those concerns, I'm curious as to what you intend(ed) to do Lore Entries for from the beginning when you conceived this. That would also have a lot of weight, obviously, on what ultimately happens with this, if anything does.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Oroborobo

do you guys even know what it means when you spell magick with a k

The Damned

(You'll need to be more specific when you ask that.)

Since you asked though, Wikipedia's entry on magick is enlightening enough whether you were actually asking out of curiosity or had some grievance with "magick" being used as opposed to "magic". It's difficult to tell what you're trying to say or why you're asking as it is though.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

My only problem with the particular example in the pic is that it's talking about Phoenix Downs but it's highlighting a dagger.  I wouldn't want "cross-information" like that.  Would you be expanding that into spells as well?
My dreams can come true!

Oroborobo

July 05, 2013, 12:27:15 pm #10 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:15:12 pm by Elric
I'm just wondering if you understand how Aleister Crowley made it so the exact word "Magick" is inextricably linked with **** and *******

Do not post stuff like this here, this is your only warning. Your question bares no relevance to the topic whatsoever, and is highly inappropriate.
-Elric

Reks

Quote from: reinoe on June 22, 2013, 06:21:26 pm
My only problem with the particular example in the pic is that it's talking about Phoenix Downs but it's highlighting a dagger.  I wouldn't want "cross-information" like that.  Would you be expanding that into spells as well?

That's what FFXII did. The entries for the Sage Entries on the bestiary were random bits of lore and journal entries that had nothing to do with the monster itself, usually. Some did, or were related to one of it's drops.